The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 3 > Left Behind
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Left Behind Air Date: 4/4/2007 60 minutes EP: 315
Written by Elizabeth Sarnoff & Damon Lindelof
Directed by Karen Gaviola

Old 01-13-2008, 02:25 AM   #11
CrimsonRabbit
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats
Re: LOST Rewind: Left Behind

*I think The Others left Kate and Juliet in the jungle to create t a sense of shared danger out in the middle of nowhere. Ben thought this would bring the two of them together, so Juliet to better integrate into the Losties' camp. Smokey brought an end to that. Juliet's back-up story however, that the Others left her behind and Juliet herself was trying to gain Kate's trust for her own benefit and not Ben's, still fit that intention. Juliet was going to get herself into the camp one way or another. I don't think it had anything to do with Jack, though -- it was Juliet's own feelings for him that brought that out. Really it's a dangerous game Ben's playing: Juliet has to tie herself to the woman who she has to know is her greatest rival for Jack's affections. But she'll do anything to get off the Island and keep her sister healthy.

*It's an odd flashback in that it feels more about Sawyer than Kate. Here are the two women after all who probably have the greatest claim to his past and future. What's really interesting is a case can be made that if not for Kate, Sawyer wouldn't have ended up in jail. I'm not sure how to interpret Cassidy's reaction to what Kate told her at the end of the episode... but considering she did eventually call the cops on Sawyer, I assume her meeting Kate was a catalyst for that. But because of this Sawyer gets the opportunity to make amends to Cassidy and their child by using his get out of jail agreement to get them money. In a roundabout way then Kate opened the door for Sawyer to gain a measure of redemption.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
TK 421
Economy
Not at my post

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
Hmm, well maybe she knew that it wouldn't attack her for some reason (maybe Dharma people are chipped, or some such) and that only Kate was a potential target (for whatever reason). But really...who knows.... *shrug*
I have a feeling that Juliette knows a lot about what smokey does and was genuinely worried that Smokey seemed to be scanning her. Like maybe she's getting the feeling that the things she's doing for Ben to save her sister are taking her off the righteous path and she's not sure how she would be judged. In the finale I believe, when she and Sawyer go back to camp to confront the Others, she tells Sawyer she's doing it because of Karma.

Also, when Sayid and Sawyer confront Juliette at the med-drop tree, she tells them "More blood on their hands is the last thing they need right now", I think she was referring to Smokey then too. Just my theory though!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
lostinlaf
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

I'm not convinced that Juliette is really interested in Jack. I think she's attracted to him, but I think she's smart enough to see that he still harbors affection for Kate. And her main goal right now is to get off the Island and back to her sister. As for her kiss...it was pretty benign. Maybe just a "good-bye, this will never work" kiss.

As for Kate's mom...I think this episode proves that she's just as tainted as the other characters on the show. She refuses to admit that it would hurt her daughter that she stayed with an abusive man. Not to say that Kate was justified in what she did to Wayne. I think she was wrong. But seeing Kate's mom again made me realize that she herself is pretty selfish. But then, we still don't know all that much about Kate's home life. How much she herself suffered directly from Wayne. Whether or not her mom ever defended her.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Bicklefitch
Premium Economy
Destiny, anyone?

Additional Info
Stats

This episode opened with a shot of Kate in the game room at New Otherton, prior to her visits from Juliet and Locke. Just before Juliet's arrival, Kate grabbed a cue stick and hid behind the door, waiting to ambush her (just as Jack had done when Juliet brought him a sandwich in the Hydra station). In the background as Kate hid behind the door was a game of Mouse Trap. It would be easy to jump to the conclusion that this represented Kate's precarious situation, or even that it was meant to call attention to Juliet's role in Ben's game of manipulation. I'm guessing, however, that it may have had more to do with John, and the loophole that was awaiting him.

The fact that Kate and Juliet awoke to find themselves handcuffed to each other hints, IMO, that they will be shown to be 'linked' in some way. My favorite theory along these lines is this one, by LadybirdKate.

Juliet, despite what I believe is a heartfelt desire to be accepted by the lostaways, has been working with Ben all along, as evidenced by her refusal to tell Kate that she had a key to the handcuffs (until Smokey forced her hand). As Ben told Jack, "It doesn't matter what she's done, no matter what you think, she's one of us". And like Ben, she has been judged by Smokey, and granted a temporary stay in her death sentence. I'm guessing that Ben knew all along that Juliet must play her role in the Incident, but I'm equally confident that he "always has a plan", and that we will find out just what that involves during season six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRabbit View Post
What's really interesting is a case can be made that if not for Kate, Sawyer wouldn't have ended up in jail. I'm not sure how to interpret Cassidy's reaction to what Kate told her at the end of the episode... but considering she did eventually call the cops on Sawyer, I assume her meeting Kate was a catalyst for that. But because of this Sawyer gets the opportunity to make amends to Cassidy and their child by using his get out of jail agreement to get them money. In a roundabout way then Kate opened the door for Sawyer to gain a measure of redemption.
This is so true. I think Kate knows more than she's letting on. Like Ben, she may have some idea that the only way out of the mess they are in will involve facing their fear rather than running from it (and she knows a thing or two about running).