The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 3 > Left Behind
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Left Behind Air Date: 4/4/2007 60 minutes EP: 315
Written by Elizabeth Sarnoff & Damon Lindelof
Directed by Karen Gaviola

Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Punky
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats
LOST Rewind: Left Behind

Welcome ot the LOST Rewind for episode 3X15: LOST BEHIND

Timestamp:
Day 82 Sunday, December 12, 2004
Day 83 Monday, December 13, 2004

Will try to remain objective, but this was one of my FAVORITE episodes!

Quick synopsis: The Others split Othersville for an unknown place - with Locke joining them willingly. Juliet is 'left behind' - handcuffed to Kate in the jungle. Smokey makes a couple of scarey appearances. Cassidy shows up in Kate's flashback. And Sawyer gets conned - by Hurley no less! Awesome.

Opening scene - Kate looks like she is going to have the upper hand in surprising Juliet. BUT, Juliet turns the tables on Kate in a split second. Juliet can really kick butt! These two make formidable foes.

We see that Kate is gassed - next thing she knows, she is waking up out in the jungle handcuffed to Juliet. We learn Juliet was left intentionally - first when we find out she has the key to the handcuffs. Later, we learn it was intentional on the Others part.

But.... why leave them out in the jungle? I cannot help but to think that the reason was to give Juliet the opportunity to tell Kate that Jack saw what transpired between Kate and Sawyer. That Jack did not want her to come back - not because he didn't want her harmed - but because she broke his heart. Juliet purposely drives that point home. Kate seems to be falling for it - despite the fact that Jack whispered that 'for her, he would come back' when he believed he would leave the island.

Trying to remain objective - but I can't help but think that the Others efforts have had the ultimate purpose of putting a chasm between Jack and Kate.

Why is it so important for them to do that? I probably focus too much on this angle and welcome anyone else's thought on the subject.

Juliet got caught in a bunch of lies in this episode. First, she had the key to the handcuffs the whole time. But, more importantly - for me - she lied about Smokey. With the first appearance of Smokey in this episode, she pretended not to know what Smokey was. Then, when forced to out of fear of Smokey - she used the handcuff key to free herself from Kate and activate the sonic fence. She admits then that:

Quote:
Alright, We don't know what it is, but we know that it doesn't like our fences.
Do you believe that is all they know about Smokey????

And, what do you think those 'flashes' were when Juliet was in the trees hiding from Smokey?

Interesting to note - Juliet did save Kate by convincing her to cross the fence area. Kate still has a purpose for Juliet/Others. Seems that Kate is not expendable. Lots of possible reasons why - what do you think?

Kate/Cassidy

Interesting that Kate tells Kate that she picked the name Lucy after Saint Lucy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Lucy

Interesting tidbid:

Quote:
Her feast day in the West is December 13, by the unreformed Julian calendar the longest night of the year; she is the patron saint of those who are blind.
Note the timestamp of this episode falls on December 13. Could there be a hidden meaning - or is this coincedence?

Interesting parallel - we learn in this flashback that Kate will never forgive her mother for turning her in. From Kate's point of view - someone she loves betrayed her and there is no forgiveness. Cassidy reveals that a man stole her life savings by conning her and left her. She finds out after that she is pregnant. But - she loves him. She is reluctant to turn 'the man'/Sawyer in because she loves him. She is fearful that Sawyer will have the same reaction to her as Kate has to her mother.

She obviously overcomes that fear. Did Kate influence her decision?

Locke

What is motivating Locke to 'join' the Others? Do you think he has abandoned the Losties? Is he losing or finding his way?

The other storyline in this episode involved Hurly's masterful manipulation of Sawyer. But, unlike Sawyer's manipulative ways - which usually benefit the manipulator - Hurley's manipulation was for Sawyers benefit rather than his own. Hurley realizes that Sawyer is the de-facto leader at this point - he needs to warm up to those who look up to him. Wasn't it great to see Sawyer struggle to be nice! Cracked me up.

Hurley taught Sawyer a valuable lesson - the greater good of even one's self is acheived by being part of a society.

Quote:
You might want to ask yourself about all the good stuff that comes from being part of this... society."
Ain't that the truth. (To take a page from LivingLost - please envision Lily Tomlin saying "And that's the truth! ).

Got to LOVE Hurley!

Please feel free to add anything I have missed to the discussion!

Last edited by Punky; 01-02-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
BlackLotus
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats
Re: LOST Rewind: Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
Do you believe that is all they know about Smokey????

And, what do you think those 'flashes' were when Juliet was in the trees hiding from Smokey?
I would imagine that the others knew more about smokey than dharma (imo smokey was there before them) but i wonder how much they told juliet.

the flashes must be part of how smokey learns about/identifies people. it would appear that smokey had decided Kate and juliet were for the chop and was going back to finish them off, only to be thwarted by the sonic fence.

interesting again that smokey seems to be attracted by emotion ( this time the pain of juliet's shoulder )

Quote:
Interesting to note - Juliet did save Kate by convincing her to cross the fence area. Kate still has a purpose for Juliet/Others. Seems that Kate is not expendable. Lots of possible reasons why - what do you think?
one word - babies!

Quote:
Note the timestamp of this episode falls on December 13. Could there be a hidden meaning - or is this coincedence?
nice catch!

Quote:

Locke

What is motivating Locke to 'join' the Others? Do you think he has abandoned the Losties? Is he losing or finding his way?
i think that in season 4 there will be new alliances formed and it will be the others (or what remains of them) that join Locke....

‘Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be bought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love.’ – Stephen King

"I think we underestimated the life on this planet. The people have so much courage. Here they are hurtling through space on a molten rock at sixty-seven thousand miles an hour and the only thing that keeps them from flying out of their shoes is their misplaced faith in gravity." - Dick Solomon

Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
lostchild
I love Craig T. Nelson in
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

I had a thought, and forgive me if this has already been theorized but....

The way Juliet and Kate ended up in the jungle (after Kate was seen to be gassed and Juliet allegedly being so) reminded me of the way we've seen so many other folks awakening like that throughout the entirety of the show. (right from the beginning in the Pilot with Jack.)

I don't know how I feel about conspiracy theories, however....it seems strange to me that all these people (Jack, Kate, Desmond, Locke, etc.) have all had similiar experiences, waking up not knowing what happened to them, only remembering briefly what they were doing before waking up in the jungle,etc.....

It makes me think that the Others have been gassing our losties and planting them in specific locations from the start. I don't know if this post can follow through on anything, but it was just a thought I had when I was rewatching LB.

I mean, we know the Others (or what became "the Others") have used gas before. Granted that gas was lethal, and the gas used on Kate in this epi was obviously not.

But it was strong enough to knock her out completely until she happen to revive in teh middle of wherever.

I have more thoughts on the episode, but it's late. I'll think on it some more.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
adam8023
Zombie Hunter (Z.E.R.O.)
First Class
Team Kate

Additional Info
Stats

Well, I LOVE this episode except that the Sawyer side story broke the flow of the main one (Kate vs. Juliet).

I just fast forward through all the Sawyer stuff in this episode. It was a lame side story.

However, the Kate story was excellent. Not as excellent as Tabula Rasa or What Kate Did, but it holds it's own.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Punky
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Adam! ...not a Sawyer fan!

I can get it - Kate's storeline was great in this episode. I was was glued to the television!

The Sawyer angle gave a great comic relief to the episode. Rewatch it without fast-forwarding!

But, you did make me realize - you don't feel as sympathetic towards Sawyer with regard to Cassidy - without watching the Sawyer part of the episode. Perhaps the writers wanted to make sure we still 'liked' Sawyer.

Love that you prefer one storyline so much to not want to watch the other! You must have loved when Kate kicked *** in the jungle! You have to admit, they are very formidable foes! Look forward to Kate not taking Juliet's garbage in Season 4!

Last edited by Starrox; 01-05-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Circumvention of language filter
Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Tugwilly
Baggage
monkies steal my underwear at night

Additional Info
Stats

I am looking forward to Juliette usurping "we gotta go back" Kate's power over Jack, and for that matter Sawyer.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
workingmom
Still looking for a hairbrush in
Business Class
avi by mysticxf

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Opening scene - Kate looks like she is going to have the upper hand in surprising Juliet. BUT, Juliet turns the tables on Kate in a split second. Juliet can really kick butt! These two make formidable foes.
Like Jack in the Hydra, Kate was ready for Juliet when she entered the holding room with food. But in the end Juliet bested each of them. Juliet's had some awesome training, probably on the island.

Quote:
We see that Kate is gassed - next thing she knows, she is waking up out in the jungle handcuffed to Juliet.
Evi does an awesome intense stare as Kate and Juliet are struggling for the knife while handcuffed together.

Quote:
But.... why leave them out in the jungle? I cannot help but to think that the reason was to give Juliet the opportunity to tell Kate that Jack saw what transpired between Kate and Sawyer. That Jack did not want her to come back - not because he didn't want her harmed - but because she broke his heart. Juliet purposely drives that point home. Kate seems to be falling for it - despite the fact that Jack whispered that 'for her, he would come back' when he believed he would leave the island.

Trying to remain objective - but I can't help but think that the Others efforts have had the ultimate purpose of putting a chasm between Jack and Kate.

Why is it so important for them to do that? I probably focus too much on this angle and welcome anyone else's thought on the subject.
I don't know. They already accomplished that on the other island. Kate's not a person who responds to the normal guilt feelings that eat into others. I think that rubbing it in was Juliet's own agenda in order to make it easier for her to become close to Jack. And in the end, Kate was more right about it than Juliet was - Jack told her that he told her not to come back for him in order to protect her.

Quote:
BlackLotus got it - potential baby incubator.
Quote:
Kate/Cassidy
Interesting parallel - we learn in this flashback that Kate will never forgive her mother for turning her in. From Kate's point of view - someone she loves betrayed her and there is no forgiveness. Cassidy reveals that a man stole her life savings by conning her and left her. She finds out after that she is pregnant. But - she loves him. She is reluctant to turn 'the man'/Sawyer in because she loves him. She is fearful that Sawyer will have the same reaction to her as Kate has to her mother.

When Kate surprises Diane in the rest room, the first thing Diane says is “what are you doing here” – just like Jack in the bungalow (in TMFT) when Kate walks in. Neither are happy to see here there, but Diane’s reasons are less in fear for Kate’s safety as for bitterness.

Her mother doesn't have an ounce of forgiveness or understanding for her. I find that so sad. As Kate told Cassidy earlier - "She chose him over me." And she continued to choose complete loyalty to Wayne even after his death.

This concept made this the most interesting Kate flashback for me. She finally is faced head-on with the fact that she didn't help her mother; whenever she tried to rationalize the murder of Wayne by telling herself - or someone else, like Cassidy - that she was helping her mother, it was untrue. She begins to realize that her impulivve actions can hurt the ones she loves. That's what her apology to Jack after waking him up was about too. This looked like tremendous progress, in terms of maturity, for Kate. Unfortunately she got hit by the stupid stick once she got back to the beach - but that's another episode.

Quote:
Locke

Locke's conversation with Kate was particularly cold. Nice of him to judge her. Looking back from the vantage point of the end of Season 3, it does seem that Locke has abandoned the Losties and their desire to get off the island, and is doing everything he can to defeat that purpose so he can stay on the island, keep the use of his legs, and find his destiny that he believes lies in the mystical power of the island.
I'm not too happy with Locke.

Quote:
The other storyline in this episode involved Hurly's masterful manipulation of Sawyer. But, unlike Sawyer's manipulative ways - which usually benefit thce manipulator - Hurley's manipulation was for Sawyers benefit rather than his own. Hurley realizes that Sawyer is the de-facto leader at this point - he needs to warm up to those who look up to him. Wasn't it great to see Sawyer struggle to be nice! Cracked me up.
It was OK for comic relief. After the time devoted to more of the same in Tricia Tanaka and Expose, it was getting a little old. It made the beach camp people seem insignificant in terms of the greater plot.

And for all that some of Sawyer's fans wish he would emerge as camp leader, Sawyer himself scoffs at the idea (and Hurley's speech to him is classic offhand Hurley):

Quote:
Hurley: It wasn't a con, dude. If you're gonna be our temporary leader, you need to do some damage control.
Sawyer: Leader? What the hell are you smoking?
Hurley: Jack's gone...Locke's gone...Kate and Sayid...[Shrugs] You're all we got. Paulo and Nikki died, we all looked to you. Then again you totally tried to steal their diamonds, but we wanted to look to you. Look around. You made everyone happy. Just for today, they can eat boar, laugh, and forget that they're totally screwed. And you did that for them, dude. You.
Sawyer: What if I don't want to be the leader?
Hurley: You know, I don't think Jack wanted it either. Sucks for you, dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostchild View Post
I had a thought, and forgive me if this has already been theorized but....

The way Juliet and Kate ended up in the jungle (after Kate was seen to be gassed and Juliet allegedly being so) reminded me of the way we've seen so many other folks awakening like that throughout the entirety of the show. (right from the beginning in the Pilot with Jack.)

I don't know how I feel about conspiracy theories, however....it seems strange to me that all these people (Jack, Kate, Desmond, Locke, etc.) have all had similiar experiences, waking up not knowing what happened to them, only remembering briefly what they were doing before waking up in the jungle,etc.....

It makes me think that the Others have been gassing our losties and planting them in specific locations from the start. I don't know if this post can follow through on anything, but it was just a thought I had when I was rewatching LB.

I mean, we know the Others (or what became "the Others") have used gas before. Granted that gas was lethal, and the gas used on Kate in this epi was obviously not.

But it was strong enough to knock her out completely until she happen to revive in teh middle of wherever.
Clearly the gassing of Kate (and Jack and Sayid) was intentional and Kate was purposely dragged out to disorient her and bond her with Juliet. But the others you mentioned -
Jack - Well, there was a plane crash with the rear end open. Of course people would fall out randomly.
Desmond - The hatch imploded from his own actions and released a tremendous amount of energy. Ditto on Locke. The Others didn't seem to know all of the Swan hatch's potential power and seemed surprised by the meltdown too.
But I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, so I tend to look for the apparent explanation.

F.O.X. #169, The Shirts: Dharma Scrubs Jater #204, DesPen #38, JuSt #84, T.O.M. #3, M.L. #2, DRKA #4, TGIF #49, The Shephard Clan #20

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Old 01-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Liplocked
Waxing Ben's Baby Maker in
Business Class
'Roger', really.

Additional Info
Location: Portsmouth. England. ~ Where the population's dense & the architecture's brutal. Nice!
Stats

Quote:
Quick synopsis: The Others split Othersville for an unknown place - with Locke joining them willingly. Juliet is 'left behind' - handcuffed to Kate in the jungle. Smokey makes a couple of scarey appearances. Cassidy shows up in Kate's flashback. And Sawyer gets conned - by Hurley no less! Awesome.

Awesome synopsis!

Quote:

Juliet may make a formidable foe, but she makes crap sandwiches: mad: haven’t the Other’s heard of wholemeal bread?
She has some mean moves though – I can see how she may have put her shoulder out learning them. But not necessarily on Island (although it would have passed the time and if Goodwin were the teacher I’d sign up for lessons myself).
Quote:
But.... why leave them out in the jungle?

So they’d bond.
Kate is a powerful a player in the beach camp as Jack is, and the more trust is placed in Juliet, the more Ben may learn - and if they didn’t bond; it was still a data gathering opportunity for Juliet.
Jack’s for taking Juliet back, Sayid’s against, Kate’s obvious in her caution but keen to regain Jack’s trust… what a lovely dynamic for a manipulator to play with.
Quote:
I cannot help but to think that the reason was to give Juliet the opportunity to tell Kate that Jack saw what transpired between Kate and Sawyer. That Jack did not want her to come back - not because he didn't want her harmed - but because she broke his heart.

Kate coulda been told that after the sub trip got nixed – she and Jack were already separated and the rift between Kate and Jack witnessed by the Others in the piano room.
Quote:
Juliet purposely drives that point home

…and Kate used the anger that generated to drive home Juliet’s dislocated shoulder. I think that was the doctor’s intent.
Quote:

From the flashforward I’d have to say they succeeded …if that was their intention.

Quote:

I think we might consider that Juliet saved Kate because that was the right thing to do.

Quote:
Interesting that Kate tells Kate that she picked the name Lucy after Saint Lucy.

Quote:
Quote:
Her feast day in the West is December 13, by the unreformed Julian calendar the longest night of the year; she is the patron saint of those who are blind.

Love is blind.
The blind leading the blind ~ blind drunk (Wayne) ~ blind fury …take your pick.
I saw little in the way of Justice (who is also blind), but Kate does call the Marshal on feast days. When’d she start doing that do you think?

Quote:
Interesting parallel - we learn in this flashback that Kate will never forgive her mother for turning her in. From Kate's point of view - someone she loves betrayed her and there is no forgiveness.

I imagine her ‘partner’ in the armed raid on that busy bank feels much the same way.
Quote:
Cassidy reveals that a man stole her life savings by conning her and left her. She finds out after that she is pregnant. But - she loves him. She is reluctant to turn 'the man'/Sawyer in because she loves him. She is fearful that Sawyer will have the same reaction to her as Kate has to her mother.
Quote:

Cassidy doesn’t know of course that “I’ll never forgive her” Kate, later visits her mom again in hospital. Why? Does she want forgiveness? Or was she there to reiterate to a desperately ill woman why she was right to murder her husband?
Or was the influence the other way around? Kate learned the power of love for a flawed man from Cassie, and did understand why her mom turned her in for dead Wayne?

Quote:

I don’t see him having jumped ship as much as accepted an invitation to go camping.. He may bond with some of them… or not but either way, he’s certainly data gathering.
*cough*bulletshurt*cough*
On the right path or not, I doubt John feels lost (although advocating for Kate – not Jack note – and learning unpleasant truths about her must have been unsettling); Eko’s heading took them to the map Sayid used to find Otherville… and the Others have offered to take him somewhere new. John’s in his element exploring.
Quote:
Wasn't it great to see Sawyer struggle to be nice! Cracked me up.

I’m expecting great things of James next season. There’s no scene Josh need fear on recent evidence.

Quote:
Got to LOVE Hurley!

I wouldn’t normally advocate messing with a design classic like TDH (tall, dark and handsome), and Hugo’s got that going on in spades - but tall, dark, and hustling…?

Man, I LOVE that man.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
Punky
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liplocked View Post
Quote:
But.... why leave them out in the jungle?
So they’d bond.
Kate is a powerful a player in the beach camp as Jack is, and the more trust is placed in Juliet, the more Ben may learn - and if they didn’t bond; it was still a data gathering opportunity for Juliet.
Jack’s for taking Juliet back, Sayid’s against, Kate’s obvious in her caution but keen to regain Jack’s trust… what a lovely dynamic for a manipulator to play with.
Yes, I can see that and it makes the most sense.

The thing that bothers me is Smokey.

With Juliet eventually giving up that she knew about Smokey - if she is truly afraid of Smokey and doesn't know anything but that it doesn't like their fences ....why put yourself in a perilous situation ...handcuffed out in the jungle?

I do think she was genuinely afraid when she freed herself from Kate - but was it a ruse?

It doesn't add up for some reason ...for me.

Why put yourself in a dangerous situation? ...unless you knew it wasn't dangerous.

Argh! Am I over-analyzing!?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
Jack Sawyer
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

Hmm, well maybe she knew that it wouldn't attack her for some reason (maybe Dharma people are chipped, or some such) and that only Kate was a potential target (for whatever reason). But really...who knows.... *shrug*