The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 2 > One of Them
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

One of Them Air Date: 02/15/2006 60 minutes EP: 214
Written by Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse
Directed by Stephen Williams

Old 02-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #21
farscaper87
Missed Flight 815, so I'm still
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Re: LOST: Myst influenced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLaura View Post
Yup, that helped a bit. I was looking to hear about the symbols, specifically. It sounds like there may be symbol connections, but nothing concrete.
There are 6 hatches in all (per the Orientation video).
Thanks for the correct number of hatches - I like to have it right. :-)

I think the symbol thing (to me) is more related to the computer, and having to enter the proper numbers at the right time. Like the puzzles in the game.

Also, the way the hatch started gearing (black smoke sound) up for something before Locke hit enter, which sounded to me like the blast doors Michael spotted were about to come down, reminded me of the game - entering codes and turning things about to open new paths and rooms to explore.

My personal theory on the computer is that it controls a security system that keeps the others in their part of the island, among other things. I also think the black smoke is part of that system. But that's just my theory - I have no proof or spoilers to back it up.

btw, not all of the red symbols that appeared are egyptian hieroglyphs, from what I could find at least. There are 5 slots, and I paused to write them down - the first is a hook (soft s), the second didn't quite come up for me, the third is a reed leef on a box (i or y + sh), the fourth is the vulture (soft a,e, or o), and the last was a stick with a forked end (like a water dowser). I would have been thoroughly amused if they had said "see ya" or something funny when translated. <eg>

ETA - I found the hieroglyph translation post, so my last paragraph is irrelevant. :-)

Last edited by farscaper87; 02-16-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #22
HelloooClareece
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Never mind that the Myst novels were published by Hyperion ( publishing division of Disney which owns ABC) and that the comic books were published by Dark Horse (Kate's)and called Myst: The Book of Black Ships (Black Rock?). (Then again, lately even my grocery lists relate to something Lost related in my warped little brain).

There really are too many similarities to be ignored. BRAVO to you Pulpy for your post! (And as if I need another entertainment addiction besides this show....I think I'll replay it).
Old 02-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #23
Eleri
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

As a designated Myst Missionary, I'll be happy to start anyone on a Myst addiction. Especially with some of the latest developments in Uru. Just PM me, and I'll fill your brain with wonders. And before I wander off topic, there's another potential parallel: quantum theory and alternate realities. Linking Books and the Art of Writing are prime examples of that in Myst, and we've all wondered at some time or another if it's happening here.

(BTW, while Hyperion published the books, and Dark Horse the short-lived comic, the Myst world lies in the hands of Cyan...and the Losties certainly are surrounded by that!)
Old 02-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #24
Dolphincrc
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I think "influenced" might be be too strong a word, maybe "inspiration" is a better, such as the mysterious and mythical aspects. What amazes me about Lost is the sheer number of references to music, books, religion, etc. There's definitely lots of inspiration, and this might be one of them.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #25
joe1991
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Just had to revive this old thread. I think we can clearly see now that Myst was the overwhelming influence on LOST. In fact, if you were going to make a TV show based on Myst, you couldn't come much closer.

Staying spoiler-free of both, it'll be interesting to see just how close they come to the original Myst ending.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #26
Piecar
Who dug up these two Jabronies?
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Well, I don't know if it is overwheleming, but it sure seems like they had some Myst themes in mind when they did this show. Lotsof weird devices and places where interesting things happened, but our heroes arrive long after they stopped happening. The Lighthouse sealed it for me, but the Hatch was a huge one. ANd I can just see that weird scroll right/left happening while standing in the middle of the Hatch.